10/20/2007

Itaewon'd Out...Sorta

I'm 3 for 3! Three weekends in Korea and all three weekends spent in Itaewon. I hung out with my new gay boyfriend, Oscar. :) He's really a great person...we were chatting about his most recent love interest and he stops and says "You know, I'm so glad I finally have someone to relate to!!" And I said, "But Oscar, I'm not gay..." Hahaha. But he meant having a friend of color. All of his friends, as I saw tonight, are Irish. I met up with them all at a cozy Irish pub called The Wolfhound. Cool place...great (sorta pricey) food. I paid $10 for some chicken fingers and fries but they were delicious so I have no regrets!! Then we went on a "pub crawl". This is something a lot of kids do in college. I'm a bad pub crawler because 1) I hate beer 2) I hate walking in the cold and 3) I hate smoke-filled bars. So my crawling stopped after bar #1 (they hit up 3 or 4 all over town). It was for a good cause though and I paid my 15,000 won. I had fun honestly! I got to meet most of Oscar's friends and they're all so nice. Just a good group of people who've been here for years teaching English. They get together to play Irish football every weekend. I was invited to join the team but really....can you see ME playing any sport called football???? Ummm...I think not. I will stick to tennis, thankyouverymuch. Some of them just started taking Korean classes so I will be joining them next weekend!! I'm so excited!! They just started learning the alphabet so I'm not too late. I've gotta make sure though to find a way to keep up my Spanish...I suppose Oscar can help with that since he's Mexican and all. I'll ask him. If I do become somewhat fluent or at least conversational in Korean, I'll be very proud of myself. I think I can do it. One language at a time...

So, I'm pretty impressed with my ability to get around on my own. I know others would beg to differ, but I have an incredibly good sense of direction. I think I have a photographic memory. Not sure when I discovered this...probably a survival technique and nothing more. But literally, I can go a place once and I perfectly remember how to get back there. Or I can reverse my directions and re-trace my steps very easily. I don't know. I just kinda noticed since I've been here that I'm not completely confused like I thought I'd be. I think my senses are heightened obviously and maybe also because I know that stopping and asking for directions is not gonna get me anywhere. I kinda have to know where I am or I'd be in big trouble.

I love Koreans for one reason right now. ONDUL! What's ondul, Joia??? Oh, I'll tell you about ondul...thanks for asking. Ondul is a floor heating system. And it's freakin awesome!!! Take note, Americans!!! It's gotten pretty chilly the last few days and I like being a snug bug in my bed. So, Steve explained that I've gotta turn on my ondul. Basically, hot water pipes run beneath the floors here...not a central heating unit like back home that takes forever to get warm. So I can walk around barefoot and my feet are all nice and toasty. I can get outta the shower and step onto a warm floor. It's truly great. I've even slept on the floor a couple nights because it's so great. It's one thing I'll miss for sure. I do kinda miss carpeting, too though.

Nothing else new otherwise. It's 330am and I'm just listening to some mellow John Mayer. I'm getting better sleep lately despite this crick in my neck that won't go away. I've had it for...*counting* 3 weeks now! I think I'll go to a massage place and have them work on it for me. It's really annoying that I can't turn my head completely to the right...

Oh well....I'll sleep on it! *wink* Night...<3 J

2 comments:

Christina said...

How can you not like beer? I mean, thats the equivalent of not liking chocolate or sex!!!!!
Umm, is it safe for your floors to heat up? It doesnt sound too safe. I hope that your feet dont burn off, that would clearly suck because then you would miss out on all the good shoes....

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog about 45 minutes ago...oddly enough I don't remember how. The warm floors are called radiant heating in the states. Not ridiculously expensive to put in but it can't be a rental because once it's in it's not coming out.