10/28/2007

Lost in Seoul




It's pouring outside right now so I've been watching Grey's Anatomy for most of the day. I woke up and went running and stretching. That's about it. But last night, I went to Seoul again. At first, I wasn't planning to go at all. I was supposed to go with this girl, but I didn't hear from her so I was content in not going. But some of my other friends convinced me. I knew I shouldn't have gone, but oh well.

On the subway headed to Yongsan, a crazy drunk guy started talking to me in broken English. I can't even begin to describe how awful his breath was. It was like a mixture of fish and whiskey. Ew. He was yelling questions at me like, "WHERE...YOU...FROM!!!!????" and "YOU...MILITARY?!?!?!?!" A young Korean woman who was standing nearby saw my horrified/confused expression and she said "You don't have to answer him. I'm so sorry. He's really drunk." And that's when I thought "You know what?! She's right! I don't talk to drunkies back home so why in the hell was I trying to engage one here!?" At one point, he actually fell asleep in the middle of saying something...so with that, I just got up and moved. And he fell back asleep. Haha. No more drunk old Korean dudes talking to me!! But I was a little afraid that he would get violent so I moved all the way to the next car. Better safe than sorry :)

I met up with my Hampton friend, Sheron. There's an army base in Yongsan and she was hanging out there. I wasn't in the mood to go to the smoke-filled clubs of Itaewon. I just wanted to chill. On base, there was an old school Alpha party. YES! Greeks galore...but mostly older people. They were all dressed up in 70's/Halloween costumes. It was cool. But I just wasn't feeling it. I couldn't really concentrate on having a good time because I knew I'd have to get home soon. I feel like Cinderella when I'm out in Seoul. The last subways leave at midnight and until I get paid, I can't afford the $50 taxis back home at 3am. So I left Sheron around 1145pm. I had to catch a taxi back to the subway and of course we got caught at every light. I got there at 12:03...and yes I'd missed the last train running back home. So, I didn't freak out...there was a train running to Guro. I had no idea where Guro was, only that it's a stop I've passed before heading into Seoul. So I just took that train. Then I called Steve and asked him what I should do. He said I'd have to take the 905 bus back to Bucheon. Buses stop running at 1am so luckily, the station was very crowded and easy to find. However, it's strange because the actual bus stops are sometimes in the middle of the highway! At least this one was....so I stood out there with a bunch of folks and just waited. When the bus finally came, it was a 30-40 minute ride to my neighborhood. I was so glad to be home...and if it weren't for Steve, I probably would have been sleeping on a park bench somewhere last night. But now I know one more way to get around!! :)

One other thing...some of these teenagers around here are PSYCHO! I realize kids are gonna do stupid things to feel adult...or feel cool. Or impress some chick or their friends. But last night, I saw what must've been the most idiotic pasttime ever. A gang of kids on these tricked out mopeds rode by the bus stop several times. Two people on a bike, no helmets or anything, just swerving side to side really fast. Dipping and twisting, skidding the wheels and such. Music was just blasting. They run traffic lights and generally just don't give a damn. One kid was literally eating a bag of chips while his friend nearly killed him. Unbelieveable! And these bikes have obnoxious clown sounding horns to boot. I couldn't believe it....I was just waiting for one of them to fall off and have his brains splattered all over the pavement. Some people on the bus stop were looking as shocked as I was and others were ambivalent. I just thought it was so scary....and then I wondered about their parents and if they know they're gonna get a phone call one day saying how little Soo jin or Hyun jung is being scraped off the road right now....just awful. Oh well. School of hard knocks I guess. Well, back to Grey's! Just wanted to update real quick!!! Adios! <3 J

1 comment:

Christina said...

And might I say, that was SOME update!!!! Awww, i kinda felt bad you you getting lost with someones halitosis in your face...I kinda wanna bring you a MOJITO!!!! Well, ill have one waiting for ya when you get back...