11/11/2007

No, I Didn't See Beyonce...



Beyonce was in Seoul this past weekend. And NO, I didn't get to see her. And I'm a little bitter about it especially because I learned after the fact how many of my friends had free tickets and passed them up!!! That just pisses me off. Who does that?? Why would you pass up free tickets to see Beyonce when I would've been coughing up 90,000 won to see her from the nosebleed section?! That's just messed up....

But anyway, I still had a really great weekend. Friday night was spent at home, which is customary. My last class that day really pissed me off...AGAIN! Am I just becoming The Angry English Teacher or what? I almost kicked out one girl that never even talks! Basically, I went in there all chipper, ready to teach my lesson about China and Chinatown (it was the book's lesson, not mine). The kids know the drill. It's a listening exercise and then they answer questions about what they've heard. I was asking, digging, prying to get anything out of them and they gave me JACK SQUAT!! After about 15 minutes of teeth pulling, I said SCREW IT!! If you don't wanna talk, you will write for the next 30 mins. And that's what they did. I made them write the same sentence over and over again. But one girl, Ji-in, just sat there scribbling in her notebook. I thought to myself, "Hmm, that's odd. Cuz I KNOW I just gave them an assignment to do.." So I asked her, "Ji-in, what are you doing??" She just grins this stupid little grin and looks down at her book. So I pointed to the board and gestured that she should be writing the sentence. Long story short, I made her stand up for the rest of the class and stare at the wall. Then I asked the other students, who were writing quietly, if they were having fun yet. "No, teacher...." came the solemn reply. "NO?!?! You're not!? That's funny because I am having a GREAT time!!!" They probably thought I was completely insane. Sarcasm is difficult to teach. We finally got back to work and they were more cooperative, but boy I tell you, I just wanted to scream at them for 45 minutes. And they wouldn't have understood a word. And it would've only been a temporary fix. I still don't have any answers for this class yet. They just suck in my opinion and well, that's unfortunate. It's hard to be like "Oh yeah, he's really smart..." when he never says a damn thing. I have to see them tomorrow, too and if they act up again, they'll be writing AGAIN! I have no mercy...

Saturday was great!! I went shopping with Steve in Myeongdong (Mee-yong-dong), a big shopping district in Seoul. I tell you, I am my mother's child because the first thing I bought was a handbag. And it's so pretty...it was on sale, too! I snatched the last one off the mannequin. So, there it is...my first real purchase in Korea.
And I'd have about 10 pairs of boots by now if they carried anything close to my size. I guess I'm lucky I have big feet otherwise I'd be broke already. But I really liked Myeongdong because of all the craziness there. It was a little schizophrenic actually. I nearly had a seizure in the mall just from all the people. Imagine the day before Christmas at Macy's...sorta like that except you have NO idea what anyone is saying. And I almost got separated from Steve which caused a lot of anxiety, too. That area of town some really great restaurants, too but I decided to try out the Korean street food! Yes, crazy I know but it was actually amazing. I had some hot pancake thing with honey and chocolate inside. I actually 2 of those because there was crack inside. Even the scalding hot chocolate searing my thumb didn't stop me from eating it. If there is a Heaven, I'm thinking they're probably serving those little pancake things up there. I also had fish on a stick with lots of ketchup. That was tasty. So, I basically ate a bunch of junk food for dinner for $3. And I was happy.

After Myeongdong, we went to Hongdae (Hong-day), an adorable little college town. It's by Hongik University so the crowd is much younger and trendier I guess. Reminded me of The Village in NYC a little. Very funky and cute. Waaaaaay better than seedy, nasty Itaewon that's for sure. So we just walked around. We stopped at a cafe called The Coffee Bean and had hot chocolate. It's gotten pretty chilly at night here so the hot chocolate did a good job of keeping me warm. A little pricey though, like $5 for a small cup. But I said hey, I'm freezing my @$$ off in Korea. In Hongdae, we went to this really cool shop. When I first passed by, I couldn't figure out what exactly they were selling. It looked like a kitchen with a bunch of random stuff in it. So my curiousity got the best of me and I just had to know. Turns out this woman, whom I believe may have been a local art student, was selling knick knacks from all over the world. Magnents, Indian saris, little matchboxes...really unique stuff. So I'll be back there at some point. I think it'd be a good place to buy trinkets and gifts for people. After 7 hours hanging out in Seoul, I was exhausted. I couldn't wait to just get home and get under my covers. Oh, I also bought bootleg DVDs. Because the guy was packing stuff up, I got a great deal - 5 for $10!! I bought American Gangster, Ratatouille, Bourne Ultimatum, The Departed, and some Japanese movie that Steve and the vendor said was "awesome". So I came home and watched American Gangster. Another fantastic performance by Denzel...but I really do get sick of these movies that only portary Blacks as thugs and gangsters. That's a whole other topic...

On Sunday, I went to the gym early. My gym buddy was there! He's one of the trainers I guess. The first time I went, he was there and struck up a conversation in broken English. My friend Christine was there to translate in the beginning. I don't remember his name at all, but he liked "my skin". And he wants me to help him with his English (surprise!). He's a friendly guy though and not bad on the eyes either! Sundays are dead there....seriously, I was one of 5 people in the entire place at 2pm. So today he gave me a tangerine. I have no idea why, but I took it and said thank you. This evening, I went into Seoul again, this time an area near Itaewon called Kyangleedan. Oscar invited me to a dinner party. About 8 people came, mostly Irish people. They have really cool accents. It doesn't really matter what they're saying, it manages to sound hilarious. They cooked lasagna and bought an Oreo cheesecake from Cosco. Talk about ecstatic. I don't think I've ever shoved so much food in my mouth. Everyone did! Then we watched a movie, which I'm shocked I was able to stay awake for. Then I hopped in a taxi, jumped on the subway, got on a bus and was home in about an hour. I'm really learning my way around which is good. I can take all kinds of transportation to get places now! Off to bed for me....time to start another week :) <3 J

1 comment:

Christina said...

Wow, your like demon teacher!!!!