12/30/2007

The Christmas One


Alright, so I'm a few days late but Merry Christmas!! To make up for it, I'll be a few days early for the New Years one so Happy New Year, too! I've been holed up in my room watching The Cosby Show. My Christmas presents arrived on the 27th and let me just say, this was the best Christmas ever! I got a whole bunch of stuff and I won't list it all. The Cosby Show seasons 1-3 just did it for me. It reminds me of home, even though I didn't grow up with 4 brothers and sisters. My parents weren't doctors and lawyers either. And I didn't grow up in New York City. But amazingly, The Cosby Show still feels like my family. So, even though I couldn't be with my real family this year, my stand-ins are doing a pretty awesome job :)

So, it's the end of another year. I'm feeling somewhat reflective. I'm not one of those people who says things like, "I never would have dreamed this would be happening to me..." because the truth is, I DID dream this. Last year, I dreamt about these moments. I didn't know where I would end up exactly, but I knew I'd be in another country. I toyed with Thailand, I tangoed with Buenos Aires, I pondered Peru. I even dallied with Dubai. I just knew that once I had the idea, I set out to making it happen for me. Come hell or highwater. And believe me, the highwater (like my credit card debt) was steadily rising. Once I left New York and moved back with my parents, I was beginning to think my dream wasn't going to happen. My Dad would ask me everyday, "So, when are you leaving? Got a date yet?" And I'd have to reply, sadly, no. Just when I felt the highwater was going to drown me, I got a great offer in a good place. I took the risk and within a couple weeks, I found myself on an 18-hour flight to Seoul. About to start living a dream.

I don't know where 2008 will take me. Maybe around Southeast Asia. Maybe around China and Japan. I do know that those dreams are just ideas right now, but I'll find a way to make them happen. A lot of my friends tell me that they can't believe I'm out here, that they wouldn't have the balls to pick up and move across the world, not speaking a lick of the language. But I don't think what I've done is especially outstanding or remarkable. I think it is just how I am. I am not impressed by what I'm doing at all. For me, there was never a question of whether this would happen, only when. But if what I'm doing gives someone else a little more courage, a little more gall to stand up and take their dreams by the neck, then I'm all for it. No matter how crazy it may seem to outsiders, hold onto it. That dream is yours.

A Dream Deferred
by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

1 comment:

ksd said...

OMG Joia!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog!!! It's sooo great to see you living your dream there. And your posts are soo entertaining. Talk about take you there!! Keep doing your thing girly!!