12/09/2007

My {Imaginary} Korean Boyfriend...and Weekend Fun!

If I ever had a Korean boyfriend, I'd want him to look like this:





His name is Daniel Henney and he's like the hottest thing since sliced bread here. He's an actor/model and he's half white/Korean. Gorgeous doesn't even sum it up. So, he is my imaginary Korean boyfriend. :) His acting skills are pretty mediocre from what I've seen. He's made a fabulous career of being eye candy....and I have no objections to that! He looks Western, which is not to say there aren't really cute 100% Korean guys cuz I've seen them all over, but well, I'm a Western girl. I can't help it. And he has muscles, which is something many Korean guys don't seem interested in acquiring. Anywho, onto my weekend!!

I had fun (and expensive) times with Margot! We literally hung out all weekend. On Saturday, we ventured into Seoul during the day and braved the freezing temps. We visited an area called Insa-dong which is mostly known for the arts and crafts kinda stuff. There were a lot of adorable shops with stuff made from natural and recycled products. You can buy a lot of souvenirs and there's also a museum somewhere in the neighborhood. We also saw these random cartoon characters



I don't know what they are but this one had a big ole strawberry head so I jumped in a picture! I also bought this fabulous scarf for 11,000 won. It's like a blanket and it's so warm. I tried to haggle the lady down to 10,000 but she wouldn't go lower so I sucked it up.



Later that evening, we had dinner at Bennigan's. YES, Bennigan's! It was hella expensive but it was worth it. The only thing that could have made it better was if they'd known how to make a frozen margarita. There was like an entire ingredient missing. It really tasted like salty snow. Just godawful. Outside of Bennigan's, they were building a big Christmas tree made out of Heinken bottles. Now, I can only imagine the complete pandemonium this would cause back home. Literally, every beer would be gone in 2.5 seconds. I felt bad for the guys who had to do that job in the butt cold. Wouldn't be me!! Maybe they were drinkin the beer to keep warm....not a bad thought...


I got lost on the way home. Not really lost so much as I'd missed my stop and got turned around. A nice, young couple stopped to help me. The woman spoke decent English and the man sure tried. He even followed me downstairs to make sure I found the place...so I took a random picture of the subway stop. Yes, this would be the WRONG one


The craziness continued on Sunday as Margot and I went into Itaewon for brunch at Suji's. This place felt like a NYC diner and the food was amazing! The only thing they were missing were grits, but I dunno if I really trust Koreans to get it right...that takes lots of practice. But, as you can see, I ate heartily. Man, I've missed eating bacon!!

Then we walked around Itaewon in search of some designer Evisu jeans for her boyfriend. I mean, these alleyways we walked down were clearly places of ill-repute. I would never be caught at night back there...or alone. So, she must really love her man to do that. But we did take a funny picture of a random statue...just because we could.

Next we headed back to Yongsan (about 2 miles away). We weren't ready to head home yet so we decided to catch a movie. We saw Hairspray at 630 at the CGV Movie Theater...incredible theater. Nice and clean and big screens. At Korean movies, you actually have to pick a number before you buy your ticket (like when you're buying deli meat at the grocery store) and you also have to select your seats. So, you can't just roll up in there and sit wherever you want. It gets printed on your ticket. Interesting...so while we had 2 hours to kill before the movie, we engaged in the usual foolishness. I got my feelings hurt (not really) in the shoe department. The salesmen were really nice and asked if we'd like to try anything on. And then I told him my shoe size and for a split second, his face screwed up all funky like this:


I couldn't help but laugh...and apparently neither could he! The average shoe size here is like a 7 or something so my size 9.5's get NO love. They were funny though. I appreciate their {lack of} help. We walked around some more and were shocked to find BLACK mannequins at the United Colors of Bennetton kiosk. So you know we took pictures...



Then we saw, quite possibly, the ugliest handbag I've ever seen in person. It was a powder blue, like, muskrat fur with black patent leather and gold hardware...or something. Oh yes, I got a picture of the foolishness. And I promptly got yelled at in Korean by the employees. I mean, I don't blame her for yelling. She probably thought I was gonna splatter it on the internet with captions like "ALL WRONG!!" and "NO, KOREA, NO!!!" And she'd be right....BAD, KOREA, BAD!!!!!!! DOUBLE BOO BOO!!!!


But seriously, Korea has the handbag game on lock. And I mean the affordable handbags for common folk who cannot afford to go running to Chanel and Gucci all the time. These bags are gorgeous and they range from like $10- $150. Yes, I may be back. I just might bring home an entire suitcase of bags. A girl can never have too many...:) Lastly, we went to Popeye's for dinner. We both ordered kids meals and I was a little appalled at our toys. Yes, that would be a cockroach...Really Popeye's? Is that the kind of image you want associated with your food? Makes me suspect...but I still ate it...

Hairspray was good...I kinda slept through the beginning. Everytime I'd wake up, I'd be thinking, "Dang, they're singing AGAIN!!" Obviously not big on musicals here...I like action movies! Anyway, I had a pretty cool weekend! I was pretty happy....I may be coming home in February but that's still developing... :) Until next time, J

6 comments:

Christina said...

OMG! He is hott!!!

Mademoiselle M said...

cute pic (the last one). I wish I could get some new bags! oh and your imaginary BF is a cutie pie ;)

Mademoiselle M said...

cute pic (the last one). I wish I could get some new bags! oh and your imaginary BF is a cutie pie ;)

Vakker Kvinne said...

That guy is So freaking hot. I'd cook his rice ANY day!

ExpatJane said...

Daniel Henney is half Korean though: him mother is Korean and his father is white.

So a Korean boyfriend probably isn't going to look like that ;-) However, there are some cute Korean men too.

DMB said...

Thanks for the eye candy. Vedy nice. I went to Korea last year and I have to say, I LOVED the menfolk, too!!!!