1/08/2008

A Rough Patch...

So, I'm entering into my 4th month here. And I've hit a wall. Suddenly all the things I like about Korea and the food are repulsing me. My favorite lunch meal (fried rice with vegetables and black bean sauce) makes me nauseous to think about. Some of the smells are bothering me more than normal. I've read that it's rather normal to feel this way. Sort of like the honeymoon is over and now reality has set in. So yeah, in 3 days I've eaten an apple, a clementine orange, a cookie, and some rice. I made my bulgogi last night and it looked more like a human brain than beef. Needless to say, I threw it away. I'm sure this will pass, but no one should be surprised if I'm a little smaller when I come home.

I was coming home from the gym tonight and about 4 different people were ready to hock up their spitballs. I had to hold my mouth and resist the urge to bolt. It's like after 3 months of dealing with all of this, I'm suddenly overly sensitized to everything. I'm annoyed because I still have no idea what anyone's talking about either. But that will change soon. The beginner Korean classes start January 19th or something. Guess who'll be front and center?! That should be interesting and fun. I think I'll catch on quickly.

So much for volunteering here. It's actually illegal and I could be deported. Yes, sounds absurd to me...but that's the law. You can only do that which is stated in your visa. No outside stuff. On other visas, you can do that kinda thing but as a foreign teacher, I can't. Oh well...

Classes are kicking my butt right now. We have winter intensives so on MWF, I have 8 classes. That may not sound like a lot but it is. You have to think of different, fun, interesting activities for each class. Or at least I like to. But look, by 9pm, I just wanna get the heck outta there so my last class isn't always "fun". But I try. I'm happy that a lot of my kids are talking more. Still not complete sentences but for now, I'm just glad they say more than "Hi." Truthfully, these kids are damn smart. I've lost 2 of my favorites recently - Michael and Joe. I was SO upset. I really cared about them because they were both unusually bright and very witty in ENGLISH! That's remarkable. When you can be funny in your second language, I think that shows a true gift. But they're gone and I'll probably never see them again. I secretly hope that they'll reappear one day, but I won't hold out. So is the life of a teacher...yes? :) Until next time, J

3 comments:

Christina said...

It'll get better, I just know it! When you come back I'm going to make you a nice heaping bowl of southern grits. I don't know how to make them, but I'll figure something out....Love ya

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. You're a strong sista. Always remember, "you move towards what you think about" KEEP IT POSITIVE...Love Ya and see you soon...DAD

Anonymous said...

Consider this a detox, you're cleansing your system for the real deal. Not to worry, you will be eating REAL FAMILIAR FOOD soon. I'll be making plans to prepare your favorites and if you have any special requests, let me know. Counting the days...Love ya,Mom