1/26/2008

When I'm Sad, I Salsa...

Quite literally, salsa is one of the few things to pull me from the depths of sadness. I have no idea if I'm even doing it right as salsa is actually very difficult for me. I was always a merengue kinda gal. However, lately, I've been feeling blue. I'm coming home next week for a quick trip. Just for a week but I'll be savoring every single minute. I'll be seeing some friends and family which is sure to lift this cloud from my brain! But for now, until I get home, I'm doing salsa around my room. Yup, I get in the shower and I salsa in there. Then I jump out and I salsa some more. I'd like one person to tell me that they don't feel better after doing salsa. I bet there's no one in this world who can deny that feeling. La India is my favorite...she's been around forever. I remember just randomly buying a CD of hers when I was about 14 or 15. Actually, it was a tape and then I bought the actual CD. She is my salsa queen! So......that's my solution. When I'm sad, I salsa.

But I have had a lot of bright spots lately...

I started my beginner Korean class yesterday!!! I am BACK!! I realize that's one thing that truly makes me happy...learning a new language. It's the most intense high I've ever felt. Suddenly the world opens up for you when you realize you can speak to people. Granted I only learned 5 vowels and 6 consonants but you know what, it's only the beginning. I am doing something new and exciting and fun. I think I will pick it up somewhat quickly because I plan to practice all the time. I would love to be very conversational by the time I come home. How many Black chicks do you know that speak Korean?? *looking around* .......uh, yeah me either...

I also discovered a new bakery near my house with the most amazing buns I've ever had. It's called Rotiboy. I've passed by several times and the name struck me because Roti is a popular West Indian food so I kept thinking it might be related to that. But no, all they make are these buns. They're sweet and filled with butter and some sweet paste. All I know is I always eat two (even though I really want to eat 5 or 6..). It makes me divinely happy, eating these buns. I'm trying to figure out a way to smuggle some back home next week. Even after an 18-hour flight, they'd still be incredible.

Hmmmm, what else?? I saw the movie Cloverfield yesterday. Has anyone else seen this? I've never screamed so much in my life at the movies. I think the idea of a ginormous monster eating NYC is probably what terrified me the most. But the way it was shot really gave it the extra impact. Literally filmed from a home video-style camera. Amazing. I wouldn't recommend seeing it if you have a headache though. Lots of jumpy pictures and close-ups and stuff. Just like how you'd expect a home video to look. Anyway that's it for now!!!!! I'll probably post again before I leave for home and while I'm there...cant wait!! :)

1 comment:

Madrid said...

Hi There:

I discovered your blog recently and I like reading about your experiences in Korea. Mainly, because I am coming to Korea this year to also teach english and I am an African-American woman. I would love to ask you a couple of questions concerning getting my hair done at a salon over there. If you don't mind and if you have time, can you email me directly at shauente@yahoo.com. My name is Shauente and thanks so much.