4/03/2008

Happier Days...



So, yeah, my last post was a bit depressing...I know. :)

But it's amazing what can happen in just a week's time. For one, I'm done brooding. You live, you love, you learn, you move the hell on. I love that all of Korea seems to be in agreement with my sentiments because the weather has been outstanding the past week. It makes me want to play hooky and just go roaming around the city. But I have to ummmm...teach. Right. But I have lots of great news to report.

1) They found Brandon's murderers!!!!! YES!!! Or rather, they turned themselves in. My good friend and fellow blogger wrote a post about it. It's unfortunate that two more young Blacks will have to waste away in the prison system. I think my friend is right that someone along the way failed them, too. But it's more unfortunate, in my opinion, that Brandon's life was cut short because of one person's unthoughtful actions.

2) MY BEST FRIEND IS COMING TO KOREA!!! My BFF...well let's be honest, we're really just sisters with different parents. We've had our share of ups and downs. A rocky relationship to say the least but the last 7 years or so have been bump-free. To show her love and devotion to me, she is hopping on 2 or 3 planes, taking a 24-hour flight just to spend 6 measly days with yours truly. Perhaps she will be a guest blogger for me and write all about the madness. I can hardly sit still I'm so excited. I'm interested to see her perspective on being in a foreign land as a person of color. Mind you, she has never gone farther than the Bahamas so coming to Korea is a HUGE deal. And I'm thankful. *bowing down* Gamsahamnida...

3) I'm going to the Ne-Yo/Sean Kingston concert this weekend. I forked over $90 to stand in front with my crazy friends. I can only imagine the nonsense that's about to take place on Sunday. Maybe I can get a cool picture with them or something. What else does Sean Kingston sing besides that "Beautiful Girls" song though????? Hmmmm....the last concert I went to, embarrassingly, was Alicia Keys I think. Her FIRST album. WOW....many moons ago...

4) I'm moving to Spain!!!! Alright, not now obviously because I'm in Korea. But I've started planning for next summer to live in Spain. Just a few months to brush up on my Spanish and travel more before taking on graduate school. I know I won't have many opportunities to just live and chill out once I get the ball rolling so I'm gonna take it when I can get it. Since the euro is killing the dollar, I really have to plan well in advance for this endeavor. I thought I'd try Barcelona but it's very pricey so I've set my sights on Alicante, a lazy beach town which is only a short plane ride to Ibiza and Morocco. I've set my mind to it so now it's about working through the details. This is going to be fun...and it's a reason for any and all of my friends to get off their lazy butts and come see me!! :)

I'm always thinking about the next 15 steps, which can be both good and bad. I'm learning to live more in the present, but I'm also always planning for the future. What's next? What else is there to see and do? How can I fill up my life even more? When everything is said and done, I want to be sure that I've seen everything and done everything I wanted to do. If you're hating what you're doing and it's keeping you up at night, it's a sign. If you wake up everyday absolutely dreading what's ahead, then it's up to you to change it. No one's going to ask you everyday if you're happy. No one's going to say, "Hey, what can I do to fulfill YOUR dreams!?" It's okay if you're wandering down a path and you want to completely change direction.

That's probably the biggest lesson I've learned living in Korea so far. The reality is rarely as scary as our minds think it will be. The other side of fear is really happiness...


Until then, J

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog, but it has been an interesting read thus far. You packed quite a bit of wisdom in that latest post, girl. Nothing wrong with making plans and having an eye to the future while enjoying in the present.

Andy M said...

It's good that you've thinking 15 steps ahead. It gives you something to look forward and work towards to. As for me, going to Japan for a holiday in June, then back home after my contract ends in October. After 3 years in Korea, I need a break, and need to get back to reality. :p

Ms. Jackson said...

woo hoo now I can start saving for Spain!!!

Necesito pracitcar mi espanol
Don't laugh at me damnit, you know what I'm trying to say!!!

Love you.

LadyWritesTheBlues said...

CONGRATS!!!!! (on everything)