4/29/2008

One Class a Day...

The fact that I'm writing this from work just tells you how much free time I really have on my hands. Today, I taught ONE class. Why you ask? Because my Tuesday schedule only has 3 classes anyway, 2 of which are middle school. Middle schoolers are preparing for some type of midterm test which means that I'm only "monitoring" them...i.e. I sit there and read my book while they study, drool, sleep, convulse, etc all over their desks. I know I should wake them up when they fall asleep, but I don't have the heart. They look so peaceful...like death...as if they have actually died from studying too much. But today has been PAINFULLY slow. You would think I'd be excited about having so much extra time but I am miserable!! I've been here since 2pm and I'm not leaving til 10. And that blows.

My Directors pulled some straight up nonsense on me the other day. You know how they gave me off for Election Day??? Well, it turns out they didn't! They told me I didn't have to come in then decided to deduct it from MY vacation days!!! I wish they'd tell me exactly what concoction they are smoking because I need some. Apparently, it makes you hallucinate and fabricate bull-ish. Not that I have a ton of vacation days left anyway, but that really irritated me. This is another obvious cultural conflict...and I like how they didn't bother to even TELL me about it until now. I guess I am on a need-to-know basis with my own damn vacation time huh?? Luckily, I don't think I'll be using anymore after May. It really puts a strain on the school when I'm away since I am the only foreign English teacher so I try not to be a prick about it. I only take days when I absolutely need them. And forget about a sick day. They are totally unphased by the fact that I've been coughing and wheezing for the past week and a half. I've singlehandedly used up all their tissues, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer. Sick days are nonexistent and you get no sympathy. They just shove you some green tea and keep it moving.

Sorry this post is lame. I'm really only writing to keep from passing out at my desk right now. :) I've still got an hour and some change.......but it may as well be Forever. *gun to head*

8 comments:

Andy M said...

I would check out out contract, to see what it says about public holidays and vacation days. Koreans bosses can be dodgy, and if you let them, they will continue to be dodgy.

It's a public holiday, which does not cut in to your actual vacation time.

If your boss continues to be dodgy, just mention the Ministry of Labor , and the Labor Standards Act.

You can check out the Ministry of Labor site (in English) here: http://english.molab.go.kr/english/

Joia said...

Thanks so much Andy!!! Oh I DEFINITELY plan to bust out my contract on their @$$e$!! I was in shock when they told me that crap...so pissed!!

Kuri said...

How many vacation days do you get? It seems Korea has many more holidays than the US but how many have you really gotten off? Hopefully giving them a little pat in the face with your contract corrects the issues and you feel better.

aleasha_sam01 said...

oh yea forgot to ask you on your last post what site you were on and met that dude...

LadyWritesTheBlues said...

Oh, please don't get me started on jobs.......ARGHHHH!!!

Joia said...

Kuri,

Since I work at a slave hagwon, I've only gotten off a couple of the holidays. I didn't get off for the last election day and I worked the day before AND after Christmas. I was back home for Lunar New Year thank goodness. Some of my friends got a long holiday over New Years but NOT ME!! Nope! It's pretty annoying...but I suck it up cuz I only have 20 classes a week. lol

Andy M said...

Hey Kuri. In my contract, I get 10 working days as holidays, and that's it. Plus the 12-ish public holidays a year.

Depending on bosses, you might be able to take them as you want, or your boss will tell you when you will take them.

Joia said...

Hey Aleasha,

UBLove...that's the website. I guess it's pretty popular along with Cyworld.