4/24/2008

Sick in Seoul

So, I thought I'd have more goodies after the weekend, but I sure didn't. You know why? Because I was so damn sick I didn't go anywhere!! Actually, that's a lie...you know, if you've ever asked yourself, "SELF, should I go wandering around Seoul when I have a flaming sinus infection/head cold???", let me be clear - the resounding answer should ALWAYS be HELL NO!!!!! But common sense eludes me these days so I went anyway. And I was dizzy and light-headed and winded. I felt like an 80-year old emphysema patient who wants to get in that one last puff before she keels over. It wasn't pretty. I went to Apgujeong to have lunch with a friend. STOOPID!! I barely made it out there and then I barely made it back home. Fell asleep in a semi-fetal position on the WRONG bus. Wasted an entire hour and ended up in Northern Seoul at the farthest possible point from my home. Then I had to hop on another bus back to Gangnam Station, a place that is still a good hour from me. But oh, it gets better!! THEN, in my semi-comatose state on that bus, I missed my dang stop! So, here I am, dropped off a good 3 miles from home in the middle of the night, nose running a 5K all over my face and I'm beyond irritated. Lucky for me I had a big, clunky roll of toilet paper to save the day. But let me tell you something - hailing a cab in the middle of the night in a poorly -lit area when you're wearing black and when your skin is brown is quite difficult. It only took me...*counting*.....ohhhhh 20 mins!!!!! I was pissy by the time I finally got home at 10pm. A trip that should have taken about an hour took me FOUR HOURS!!!!!!!! FOUR HOURS!!! With a sinus infection and a snotty nose!

But my condition only got worse. For most of the week, my voice was unrecognizable. Most people who called me probably thought they'd stumbled upon a dirty old man's phone sex line. I would say that being a teacher is probably the absolute worst profession to have when you've lost your voice. Except maybe a phone sex operator. Oh, and Tuesday I had the pleasure of screaming over a bunch of rowdy 6-year olds. Just my cup of tea! Because, truly, nothing makes me happier than making my already scratchy voice feel and sound like death on wheels. My older kids were like, "Ewww, teacha...you sick???? Berry sick??? Here, eat candy!!!" Thanks, kids. Cuz I'm sure sucking on a lollipop is BOUND to make it all go away. I even had Justin saying nightly prayers for me to get better. Only today am I feeling and sounding more like myself. I still have a runny nose. My nose is rare shade of red because I've been rubbing it like a crackhead that needs a fix. I know it's almost over though. I'm just thankful I don't have to breathe out of my mouth all the damn time. I'm still getting crazy emails from random guys though. I will have to post them in an upcoming entry. Nobody butchers the English language quite like Koreans...and I love them for it. So maybe this weekend I will have actual interesting things to discuss.....and not just my boogers. Until then, J

4 comments:

Christina said...

Aww, no my JGG! I didn't know that you were sick. If you told me, it was probably that night that we will never speak of....Glad that you're feeling better. I'm pretty sure that u still sound like crap though! And where in the heck did u go? I got back home at 10:30am, so you shoulda still been up! You're slacking off....

Anonymous said...

Hope this will cheer you up:

Colbert vs. Rain

http://blog.indecision2008.com/2008/04/24/stephen-colbert-one-of-times-top-5-most-influential-people/

Kuri said...

aw that sucks. actually my other friend in seoul got really sick too. your blog is great, especially as i am a black woman as well who is going moving to seoul in july. it's nice to read about someone else and that you are still having a great time...

Joia said...

Ahhhh!! I love the Colbert/Rain video! QUALITY!!

Kuri, thanks for reading!!! We'll have to get together when you get here in July! It's gonna be hotter than hell and muggier than a....well I don't know! It's gonna be ugly! Lol.