7/13/2008

Can You Wear Curly Fries?


I can! That's what my hair looks like - a big ole bucket of Arby's curly fries. Ooooh, Arby's....*drool* So, my weekend was pretty decent. On Friday night, after a seemingly interminable day, I went out for a much-needed drink with one of my new girlfriends, Lee. She's a super sweet girl and she lives in my building. So, she introduced me to a cute cafe across the street from us that serves, quite possibly, the bombest sangria outside of Spain. I had a nice little buzz because I drank it like cold, red Kool-Aid on a hot, summer day. DEE-LISH! Then we went out to a nearby party area and had some more drinks. The bar was pretty dead, but these two Korean dinosaurs came over to her. It was really strange though. They were interested in speaking to me, but they proceeded to brag to her in Korean about where they went to school 8 million years ago. I guess they went to the Harvards of Korea. Whatever. So, one was really great at English and he was a physicist. And the other one was choking on his words so badly that in my semi-drunken state, I almost whacked him in the throat and blurted, "SPIT IT OUT!!!!" He was rather annoying. He later challenged me to a game of darts. I whupped his ass. I haven't played darts in ages and I'm actually quite atrocious at it, but alcohol gives me great focus. At least I wasn't as bad as this guy though....

**shakes head** Oh Korea...

**me and Lee**

Saturday was spent taking out my braids. I went to Korean class, too. I'm now the only person still left from the original class that started in April. So the classes have been combined with a higher level that meets 3 times a week which means that I am now the dumbest one in class. But I love it! Same teacher but I like the guys in my class. There are 2 Japanese guys, one older and one younger with a pregnant wife, and an older New Zealander. They're all really funny though so it makes the class go by faster. And I try to keep up. The only thing I'm quite pissy about is that I have to buy another new Korean book. I've yet to finish ONE book!!! So, Margot came over and we watched movies while handling the monumental task of braid removal. Then we went back to Sangria Heaven and drank 2 small pitchers. She passed out on the bus going home. HAHAHAHAHA!!



**yes, you can see what's nesting up under that cap!!**

Sunday morning, I got my curly fries put in. Now, these aren't curly extensions, people. This hair was straight and then hot curled to drag queen height and proportions. But for public viewing purposes, it has been tamed with massive bobby pins. Today's adventure with David took me around an ancient palace in Seoul. Perhaps the oldest? It's called Changdeokgung Palace. We missed the last English tour so it was in Korean which meant I was wandering off exploring and not paying attention. But David tried his best to translate for me.






Hmmm, let's see if I remember any interesting facts about this place...? Ummm, well back then as was customary, kings had several wives. His first wife was chosen for him by the people and his parents. But he really loved this side chick so he built a house for her, but then he died a year or so later. At age 23. Shame. Oh, and there are these weird insects that look like ladybugs on steroids. They're all over the place, including my curly fries. Yes, one thought it was at home and decided to set up shop. We can thank China for these creatures. As a result of global warming and other man-made problems, they have migrated to Korea and are wreaking havoc on weaves and braids everywhere. THANKS, CHINA!!!

After the palace tour, we went to dinner at my favorite Mexican place, On the Border. I bumped into Aeja and other black folks making merriment!! My heart sings....There's also a cute waiter there named Gadget (no, I'm not kidding...) and I kept trying to send him telepathic messages that I was NOT on a date and he was NOT my man. However, Gadget didn't get it. And the fact that David wanted to carry my handbag only made us appear all the more together. Lots of Korean guys like to carry their own murses in addition to their lady's bags. Since my bag had a whole bunch of heavy crap in it, I didn't object. But I realize this gesture, while generous, appears to place us into a category that I'm not trying to be in. So, girlfriend will be carrying her own bag from now on... :) David is growing on me. Not in the "I'm-attracted-to-him" sorta way. But he's been downgraded from crazy to nice. He's a pretty alright guy in my book.

I'm offering up 500 won (that's 50 whole cents!) for anyone who can accurately decipher this crazy ass email I got from a random Korean admirer, specifically "the woman who is dead water" and "house of birth grudge"...GOOD LUCK!!!!

Until then,

J

"Goodbye is. Is made to know you and is glad very. I am living in Kyonggi-Do Ilsan. I self-employed from Ilsan. I seek the truth one woman. I forever together want the woman who is the dead water. You this as the good woman is the house of birth grudge. If is thought the if your woman I go meet you. Knows your truth and the answer which you is positive and knows. I wait the reply where your truth is put in. "

6 comments:

coinlockersbaby5 said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the guy who sent you that email used a crappy online translation service lol.

Your hair looks really cute! This may sound like a dumb question but, there are actually hair stores in Korea? I'm just surprised because most Koreans don't wear weave (unless its extensions), so what would they need hair stores for? Is a Korean stylist that braids your hair? Lol, sorry for being nosy but I'm just curious!

Twreckx said...

Hey Joia, love your blog. It's cool to hear the trials, tribulations and joys of living and working in Korea. Would so love to be doing what you do now. Muey cool!

karmakhamela said...

I have a really strong feeling that admirer just typed their message into a translator lol I can't even begin to understand what the "house of birth grudge" is. Sounds like a metal band to me lol

Kuri said...

Your curly fries are cute. I remember at work I once had braided my hair and then taken them out for a cute look. This adorable little asian boy told me "You have kwinkle fry hair"...so adorable. But yeah what is with the guys sending you weird messages??? Do their computers not have a translate option?

gracer said...

From what I can decipher, it's a come on! "I seek for truth one woman". You are that woman!

It's like Indiana Jones - cryptic messages and shit! I love it! Jealous!

gracer said...

I hope you know I was being sarcastic. Cus I'd like a puzzle message from a stranger. Really...