7/16/2008

A "Sambo" in My Kindergarten...?!?

You know, I'm trying to pretend that "sambo" in Korean means something else, but this is quite hard to defend. I'm going to ask a Korean friend just to double-check. Anyway, I was sitting there on Tuesday, watching those same little boys from my previous post, ABC's Korean Style, learn their alphabet. Now, I can read Korean so I was mouthing along the words. They were learning a particular cluster of words using the Korean M-sound. So, they learned "Nam-ja" which means boy/man/men. They learned "Ram-bo"...yes, Sylvester Stallone's gun-wielding character. And lo and behold, the next word is "Sam-bo".

**head tilt**

I'm thinking, "Oh boy, now the real education begins!!"

So, ummmmm....yeah. Sorry, my mind is still reeling a little. The teacher starts explaining in Korean what this "sambo" means but since I don't understand Korean all that much, I had to rely on hand gestures and context clues. Her hands were flying wildly, but then she did a circular hand motion around her face, as if applying a whole bunch of make-up. Could this be a reference to White-face? Damn I wish I had been videotaping this week!! Then, the little boys did something interesting - they all turned around and looked AT ME!

BINGO!

I looked straight back at them wondering if I was their real-life example. I couldn't believe that she was teaching this in a kindergarten!!!! ARE YOU F**KING SERIOUS?! I sat there after the lesson a little dumbfounded and I really had the urge to ask her what in the HELL she was thinking teaching children period about such a demeaning portrayal of Blacks? Because I couldn't think of the Korean translation for "You're a f**cking @$$hole and what the hell is your problem!??!", I just sat there staring into the floor. I even looked this up in my Korean dictionary, but I couldn't find it. If my friend Mary had been there, who speaks Korean and English, I could have gotten my point across clearly.

I need more clarification, right?

I need a drink, maybe?

I need.....a BIG case of whoop ass....


Until then,

J

7 comments:

Candydiva04 said...

Wow...you should have tracked that teacher down after class told him/her to hold on a second. Called this Mary person so she could play translator, then promptly opening a can of Whoop Ass!!!

Ms. Jackson said...

Maybe its just me, but I suspect that opening a can of whoop ass is not going to quell any stereotypes of black people.

t-HYPE said...

lol. ms. jackson,

um, please do keep your readers informed as to the truth of this matter, because that is some ignorant foolishness right there...

T. Joseph said...

How old was the teacher? From what I have been reading, younger Koreans are a little more "open" to other cultures. Maybe, if it was an older teacher, she is still stuck in the Korean "Dark Ages." The little kids need to know this this is UNACCEPTABLE.

T. Joseph said...

How old was the teacher? From what I have been reading, younger Koreans are a little more "open" to other cultures. Maybe, if it was an older teacher, she is still stuck in the Korean "Dark Ages." The little kids need to know this this is UNACCEPTABLE.

ccch said...

PERHAPS, and this is just a maybe, she was explaining the demeaning connotation?????.
....and getting angry and aggressive about someone's perception is sooo uneducated!

Am curious as to how you'll resolve this if you ever get the chance.

Candydiva04 said...

LOL you guys are NO fun... I'm just instigating though! lol