4/27/2011

Jamaican Adventures Pt. 2

Thankfully, the rest of our trip was much less stressful - no broken down cars or shady people to deal with. Since the shady car guy wasn't going to repay us for all the money we socked into his piece-of-crap car, he agreed to take us to Good Hope, a scenic area of Falmouth atop a winding, dirt road the next day. It would have been better were he not there because he had a funky attitude the entire time. So, I took it upon myself to stay as long as possible and waste all of his time. Perfectly passive-aggressive.

We also brought along the young son of G's friend and his classmate. They needed to get out of the house. And I think secretly, they wanted to tag along with such a cool lady like myself. :) ....or maybe they were just really bored.







Later on, we went to a local hang out near the fisherman's pier. They blast good reggae and serve up drinks and chill vibes. After my usual rum cream on the rocks, I was feeling pretty good, though not good enough to dance battle anyone. G did though. The photos will remain locked away for eternity (his strict orders). But suffice it to say, I got a chuckle.




*Me with Peter's son...loved that kid!!*

The next morning, we woke up painfully early to go fishing. I had bailed the first time because it was still dark outside and I was exhausted. I'm glad I didn't do that the second time because I actually had a blast (once I got over being up earlier than the chickens). I enjoy fishing actually. My family would go often and although my brother and dad caught the majority of the fish, I still learned how to bait the hook and got a rush everytime I felt a tug. But fishing in some NJ creek is a long way from doing it in the Caribbean. Luckily, no sharks got to me...though I'm sure I'd make a great meal for them. Plenty of meat.




*Me in my island Rambo/croc hunter gear...WTF*



*poor little Jackfish...he was delicious*




*in the swamps*


*G going spearfishing...add that to the list of "things i will probably never do"*


*Peter cleaning the fish...and using the guts as bait! Genius!*


*sorry we had to kill you and fry you and grub down on you with some cabbage, rice & peas, and a Red Stripe...you will be missed*




*an interpretive picture of me, drawn by Peter's son....he wants to be an artist...or a doctor...or a builder...anything where he can work for himself. Love it!*

On the penultimate day, we walked around town taking photos of all the cool, historic buildings and sites, starting with where we stayed: The Baptiste Manse aka Falmouth Heritage Renewal.







Next, we walked to the Phoenix Foundry:







A recently remodeled building with a big clock...lol. **insert oooh's and aaahh's**



And around town, I just snapped photos that I fancied...like this one where the clear sky and swaying palm trees were perfectly framed through a broken window



Or this demolished "Rastaurant" where Rastas could eat healthy food and pay homage to African kings and queens at the same time. I wish I could have eaten there.





These little houses sat along the massive, new port built for cruise ships. They are used for braiding hair



Finally, my favorite building in Falmouth - the Courthouse. They slapped some fresh paint on it and it really adds to the beauty of the town's coastline. Yellow is just one of those colors that can never make you angry so I enjoyed seeing this building everyday.



So it took me two months to complete these posts, but guess what?! I'm officially finished with graduate school! I'll walk across that stage in 11 days and can check it off my to-do list. Two weeks after that, I start my new job with the State Department. My life will be in transition, but I definitely intend to keep blogging! The next few months will be very exciting...and I hope you'll come along for yet another ride!

Until then,

J

2 comments:

Chinye said...

Congratulations on successfully finishing graduate school! I'm sure a huge burden is now off your shoulders. Oh, and girl congrats on the State Department! I haven't met too many blk women who are also interested in working for the DOS. I applied for an internship and was unfortunately denied, but I will be trying again for next summer. What division will you be working in? Are you going to be a foreign ambassador? I would love to hear about your experience interviewing/securing a position!

Joia said...

Thank you, Chinye! It feels pretty amazing to be finished.

I'm meeting quite a few black women diplomats and it's refreshing, although we are still outnumbered by a lot.

You should definitely keep applying for State internships! I know they are very competitive. If you speak any foreign languages, that's a big help for overseas internships. Above all, persistence pays off :)

Will I be a foreign ambassador? Well, not quite. Ambassadorship comes after a long career in the service or through political appointment. And even then, the percentage of those who reach ambassadorship is slim. I'm just starting out as a junior officer, but who knows? Maybe one day, though I'm much more concerned with having a fulfilling and exciting career.

If you have any questions, please email me! joia730@gmail.com

Good luck and thank you!! :)