7/08/2012

Gem of the Caribbean Sea


I've been away for a ridiculously long amount of time and for that, I am TRULY sorry.  I miss writing everyday.  Blogging was home for me for a long time.  I miss keeping folks in the loop with me, especially friends and family back home.  And I miss connecting with people who may be curious about what I'm doing, have done, or plan to do.  I miss all of your thoughts, ideas, and even criticisms.  It's one of those things where I wake up and tell myself, "Write today.  Right now."  And by the end of my day, it gets pushed farther and farther to the side.  So here's my attempt to re-boot my defunct blog and start tracking my adventures again.  I'm never too far from the blogging world though.  I did a couple of recent interviews here and here to dust out the cobwebs!

So, Barbados is my home now and I've certainly enjoyed the past six ten months here. I've traveled around the Caribbean a bit, visiting St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Grenada, and Trinidad.  I never get tired of these breathtaking islands.  I am so grateful that I've been given the chance to live in paradise for two years.  There are a lot of things I love about being here.  I have always loved the sway of Caribbean music, usually reggae. But the variety of genres blows my mind. Tons of soca, steelpan, dancehall, calypso and a cool Trini mash-up called chutney. All of these riddims move me from my toenails to my hair follicles. From the minute I wake up until I go to bed, I can listen to the music I really love. When I go out to a club, there's no doubt I'll hear some good stuff.  I enjoy the vibes here.  Always chill, no rush to do anything besides chill some more.  Living here has taught me to appreciate the stillness.  What a calming effect on my mood and psyche.


It's impossible to summarize the past ten months into one blog post so I will not try, but I'll start with some of my favorite Bajan sayings:


BAJANISMS
One of my favorite things about Barbados is the way people talk. Some people may rave about the Jamaican accent or the Trini lilt, but I've grown fond of the Bajan dialect. There are some hilarious sayings that tickle my ears when I hear them. Here are a few of my faves:


"Cheese-on-bread": To express shock, excitement, disappointment, disbelief, etc. Similar to "Oh my goodness!" In a sentence, one might hear: "Cheese-on-bread! Can't believe he dropped the ball AGAIN!"


Kuh-DEAR (also spelled, kadir, cuhdear, kuhdeer, etc): Similar to "awwww"; When i was traveling to St. Lucia recently, I told my Bajan friend that I missed home (aka Barbados), to which he replied "Kuh-DEAR!!! Yuh Bajan now!"


"Yuh gettin' tru?" (aka, "you getting through?): The first time someone asked me this, he had to repeat himself so many times that he just relented and said, "how are you doing?" So much easier, no?! Lol.


Scabbical: this word cracks me up, but i'm not exactly sure what it means. according to urban dictionary, it means "unclassy, trashy, etc" there's an ad running on the radio that refers to a "scabbical turkey" that's gotten loose, but mostly, i hear it referring to a woman who sleeps around or something. will check back with you on this one.


Wukkin' up: bumping and grinding, dirty dancing, insane hip gyrations. I try to practice wukkin up every weekend.


Bashment: when i hear this word, i think of the moment when a party goes from tame to buckwild in the span of like 15 mins. everyone's standing around sipping their delicate cocktails and next thing you know, the DJ plays like 2 or 3 good songs in a row and it's just chaos, body parts flying everywhere, sweat dripping, etc. to me, that party has reached bashment proportions. Lots of that going on in Barbados.


Bim: a nickname for Barbados, short for Bimshire, which is what England called Barbados back in the day


STUP-see (or maybe it's pronounced STOOP-see): the equivalent of sucking one's teeth to express disapproval. I can't quite stupse yet, but it won't be long now...

No telling which of these verbal ticks I'll come back to America with, but I get a good chuckle.  Anyway, I have lots more to talk about but will save it for later.  :)

Until then,

J

1 comment:

Didi Bee said...

YaYYYYYYY! You're back! We've missed YOU! Pls blog more often :) Thank you!